Greetings from Greece and Boston

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Stella Kafka

Greetings from Greece and Boston

Post by Stella Kafka »

Friends,

First, a thank you to Francois Teyssier for including me in this forum. My name is Stella Kafka, I am from Greece, and I have the privilege of being the AAVSO Director since 2015. My area of research is cataclysmic variables, with special interest on magnetic activity on CV donor stars and on low main sequence stars (in general). I have been using spectra alongside photometry for about 20 years for my research, and I am delighted to be included in this discussion.

This is also very good time to be involved with you, as the AAVSO just soft-launched the much anticipated spectroscopy database and all relevant training material. The database followed the example of BESS (indeed, BESS key members were involved in its formation); training material range from information for beginners to details for more seasoned spectroscopists. I am grateful to the AAVSO community for its help and I hope that, with your contributions and comments, all material and tools will be improved. The main idea is to provide spectra alongside photometry, enriching scientific outcomes and empowering the observer community increasing your science footprint in research.

I would appreciate it if you consider joining some of the projects we have included in the spectroscopy section: https://www.aavso.org/spectroscopy-observing-section (you need to log into your account).When you are ready to upload your data, the database can be found here:
https://www.aavso.org/apps/specdb/

Best wishes – clear skies,
Stella.
Francois Teyssier

Re: Greetings from Greece and Boston

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Dear Stella,

Welcome on the forum!

François Teyssier
James Foster

Re: Greetings from Greece and Boston

Post by James Foster »

To: Stella,

Nice to see our AASVO boss here! Hope we get your professional input on the special spectral features
seen in many of the submitted CV and other stellar spectra.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Lhires III (2400/1800/600 ln/mm Grat) Spectroscope
LISA IR/Visual Spectroscope (IR Configured)
Alpy 200/600 with Guide/Calibration modules and Photometric slit
Star Analyzer 200