Frank Johns

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Frank Johns

Frank Johns

Post by Frank Johns »

My username is thedwo (- named after my observatory).

I am based in Newquay on the north coast of Cornwall, England and have a 'comforting' blanket of streetlights around me!!

Although I have had a long time interest in astronomy it was only when I retired that I became active and have spent several years imaging. My interest in spectroscopy is relatively recent.

My observatory is a 7ft dome with a Losmandy G11 upon which is currently mounted a Celestron C925 and ED80 refractor. I also have an ED120 refractor which is sometimes mounted instead of the C925. My current camera is an Atik 314L+ and I guide with a QHY5 or a QHY6.

Like many I started off with a Star Analyser, but then had the opportunity to acquire a Spectra L200 kit produced by Ken Harrison. The learning curve for slit spectroscopy I found to be rather steep - not I think because of the Spectrograph, but more to do with my advancing years - being nearer to 80 than 70.

I am currently modifying the Spectra L200 to change the variable slit into a fixed, but interchangeable, slit model.

I am pleased to say that one of my spectra has been accepted by BeSS.

This forum seems to be an excellent idea and I look forward to contributing to it, and more importantly learnign from it.