P Cygni's PI

Benjamin Mauclaire

P Cygni's PI

Post by Benjamin Mauclaire »

Hello,

To which professionnal do we send our spectra?
Is there any professionnal astronomers referent PI for this survey?

Clear skies,

Benji
Spcaudace spectroscopy software: saving you hundred hours of frustration.
Olivier Thizy

Re: P Cygni's PI

Post by Olivier Thizy »

Benji,

are you asking the same question for all objects? :-)

Yes, Omar Stahl in Germany (Heidelberg observatory I believe) is collecting the spectra and publications have already been published using amateur contribution and I can predict more will be done in the future... this star, of a particularly rare type, is extremely interesting. I believe there is only one LBV star in nothern hemisphere bright enough - and this is P Cygni. In southern hemisphere, there is eta Carina. Maybe another one but I'm not sure...

Cordialement,
Olivier Thizy
Vous ne verrez plus des étoiles comme avant !
http://www.shelyak.com/en/
Benjamin Mauclaire

Post by Benjamin Mauclaire »

How can we contact Pr. Stahl?
Does he know about this forum ?

Ernst has report very interesting explanation of P Cyg phenomenon.
Pr. Stahl may add usefull complements too has, if I understand well, we are working for his professionnal survey. Don't you so?

Benji
Spcaudace spectroscopy software: saving you hundred hours of frustration.
Ernst Pollmann

Post by Ernst Pollmann »

There is consortium of professional researchers, which has published the newest investigation I do know (Jan. 2011) "The Halpha Variations of the Luminous Blue Variable P Cygni: Discrete Absorption Components and the Short S Doradus Phase".
That's the following team: N. D. Richardson,N. D. Morrison, D. R. Gies, N. Markova, E. N. Hesselbach, J. R. Percy.
I'm in close contact with D. Gies, to discuss the results of the P Cyg campaign and my further investigation at HeI6678.
Since I can't attach a pdf-file here, I can send you the mentioned paper if you want.

D. Gies wrote:

Dear Ernst,
Many thanks for your letter about P Cygni. I was aware of your excellent work and I meant to reply earlier. I greatly admire the work of you and your colleagues and I very much encourage you to continue your observational campaign on P Cygni. Based upon the work done by my student Noel Richardson, I am convinced that we really need a long and consistent observational record to understand the wind variations in this star.

I agree with your approach to correct the observed equivalent width for the varying continuum flux, so near simultaneous photometry and spectroscopy is ideal. Our work suggests that after making this correction, there appears to be a co-variation of the intrinsic H-alpha flux and continuum flux for timescales longer than about two years. Since the variations are often subtle, it would be helpful to obtain the highest spectral resolution possible to better deal with the telluric lines from Earth's atmosphere that are found in the vicinity of H-alpha.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I'm in contact with O. Stahl. He is wondering about the "interesting quasi-periodic" behavior of the HeI6678 absorption component. But he would to wait some cycles, for to speak of a periodic behavior.
At his privat data base you can submit your P Cyg spectra: http://stahl.homelinux.org:8000/otmar/specdb/
I do it since a long time.

Ernst
Olivier Thizy

Post by Olivier Thizy »

Hello,

By the way, regarding P Cygni, there has been a very important symposium: P Cygni 2000: 400 years of progress.

See all articles available through ADS: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-t ... ulltoc=YES

Of course lot has been discovered in the last decade but this symposium seems to be a key milestone in the knowledge of P Cygni...

Cordialement,
Olivier Thizy
Vous ne verrez plus des étoiles comme avant !
http://www.shelyak.com/en/