VV Cep flux calibrated

VV Cep 2017-2019 Campaign
Moderator for this forum: Ernst Pollmann
JP Nougayrede

VV Cep flux calibrated

Post by JP Nougayrede »

Bonjour,

Playing with flux calibration in my backyard, here is an attempt on VV Cep. This star should be fun to observe this way during the upcoming eclipse :)

I used 19 Cep (HD209975) as a reference for instrumental/athmospheric response and also for flux calibration.

I followed the spectro-phomometric procedure described on Christian's website :

- observe the ref star with the 23 um slit and reduce using normal Isis pipeline.
- convert relative intensities of the ref star spectrum to erg/cm2/S/A using catalog Vmag (taken from Simbad)
- observe the target star with the 23 um slit and reduce using normal Isis pipeline
- Write down the relative intensity in a low feature point of the target spectrum (6100A in my case, but I could have choosen another part of the tortured continuum ??) = Fa. Also write down the absolute flux of the ref star at the same wavelenght (6100) = F0.
- observe the ref star with the 200 um slit and reduce using a simplified pipeline (no flat, no instr. resp., deselect weighted additionnal mode, no normalisation).
- Write down the relative signal (ADU) at the reference wavelenght (6100) = Fb, and the exposure time = Tb.
- observe the target star with the 200 um slit and reduce using a simplified pipeline (no flat, no instr. resp., deselect weighted additionnal mode, no normalisation).
- Write down the relative signal (ADU) at the reference wavelenght (6100) = Fc, and the exposure time = Tc.
- multiply the target star spectrum (with 23 um slit) by C = (Fo Fc Tb) / (Fa Fb Tc) to obtain the flux calibrated spectrum.

It looks complicated but in fact it is quite straightforward.

I should now play with Landolt stars to convert the spectra in BVR magnitudes...

Meanwhile, some questions : During the observation, I realized that the photometric slit can be easily "contaminated" by a nearby star or even by the diffraction spikes. It is quite evident with eg delta cep and its close MILES ref star companion. I am not sure how to adress this.

Another point I am not sure how to address and whether it is a problem or not ; during the reduction of the photometric spectra, Isis uses the calibration lamp spectrum in the region of the large slit, resulting in a large RMS error of calibration (about 20 A against the 0.2 using the 23 um slit).

Advices and comment are welcome :)

Clear skies,
Jean-Philippe
JP Nougayrede

Re: VV Cep flux calibrated

Post by JP Nougayrede »

Another VV cep spectrum :

Fits quite well with the previous one, except height of Ha peak (focus, seeing effect ?)

Clear skies,
Jean-Philippe