What about oversampling?

Show your spectra, your results ...
Patrick Lailly

What about oversampling?

Post by Patrick Lailly »

The question raised by Stephane Charbonnel (binning 3X3) leads me to raise the opposite question: what about oversampling? I have had this question in mind for a long time but never found the opportunity to raise it. With my question, I do not mean the situation where the pixel size is small compared with the slit width (the converse of the situation described by Stephane). I mean the following: I make extensive use of interpolation in my processing algorithms. This may lead me submit to Bess a profile with, for instance, 5000 samples whereas my CCD Chip is 1000 pixel wide. I could of course convert (by interpolation) my 5000 sample profile so as to match the CCD characteristics but I suspect this conversion to degade the result.
Can we envisage to submit to Bess profiles involving much more samples than there is in the CCD chip?
Patrick Lailly
Christian Buil

Re: What about oversampling?

Post by Christian Buil »

Patrick,

Consider a calibration line of FWHM pixels wide (neon line for example).

The best sampling (during acquisition, at the detector level - important) is between 2.5 and 3.5 time the FWHM.

For value superior to 3.5 x FWHM the oversampling can start to degrade the signal to noise ratio (slowly).
An oversambling superior to 4.5 is considered excessive.

Do not mistake with numerical oversampling (during processing phase). A quality oversambling of raw spectral
profile (spline function, sinus cardinal interpollation, ...) is not a source of quality degradation and can help in some
circonstance for a better process (minimisation of correlated noise from sample to sample).

Suppose a observampling of 5 x FWHM during processing. Submit and analyse the spectrum with these oversampling,
do not reduce (never ! - because you add possible numerical noise).

Christian Buil
Patrick Lailly

Re: What about oversampling?

Post by Patrick Lailly »

I roughly agree. Thanks Christian.
I will not miss submitting reasonably oversampled spectra to Bess.
Patrick