LHIRES 3 instrumental response

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Valerie Desnoux

LHIRES 3 instrumental response

Post by Valerie Desnoux »

Hi

Here is a description of my process to acquire reference star to compute instrumental response with a Lhires and a grating of 2400tr/mm. I have seen some people taking reference star spectrum after each object, looking for a reference star at same elevation. This is the recommended procedure for low resolution spectrograph, like an Alpy, but for a Lihres with a high resolution grating this is overkilling.

The wavelength domain of my lhires+ grating of 24000lp/mm with an Atik 460 is around 150 angstrom centered on H-alpha at 6563
I have a set of reference star depending of the period in the year: Altair for summer, castor for winter and regulus for spring. I can occasionnally use Vega.
As I image always the same star I have history I can refer too and check if the spectrum is correctly focused, with the expected flux count.

I acquire the reference star at the beginning of each night, and every nigth. Even if the setup was not dismounted. It is a kind of quality control, a routine check like a pre-flight inspection.

At this period of time, Regulus is my reference star. I acquire 5x120s exposures. I process them with ISIS, my atik 460EX is in binx2. I made a test of acquiring another set of exposures later in the night. Here is the ratio.
regulus same night
regulus same night
_regulus_20190322_831.png (4.88 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
As you can see there is no difference.

I looked back at the spectrum of regulus over the last few weeks.
regulus2
regulus2
_regulus_20190322_908.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
I found a maximum of 3% between 2 observations sessions.
regulus3
regulus3
_regulus_20190324_815.png (6.79 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
This for me is a confirmation that:
- yes, it is important to make a reference star sprectrum every night, good practice is to make it at the beginning of the session as an inspection of the setup before "flying trhough the night"
- no, it is not necessary to repeat acquiring reference star after each object

Obvioulsy this is valid for a high resolution spectrograph, and if you have some doubts, I encourage you to make the test and compare the spectrum of these reference stars at different time in the night and nigth after nigth. Do not extract the response curve, just divide one spectrum by another one and look at the ratio.

Hope this helps and answers some legitimate questions

Valerie
JJ Broussat

Re: LHIRES 3 instrumental response

Post by JJ Broussat »

Hello Valérie,
Thank you.
It's useful when we use Lhires III in high resolution.
Best regards
Jean-Jacques
Franck Houpert

Post by Franck Houpert »

Merci Valérie,

Une idée de l'origine de la différence d'intensité sur la partie bleue du spectre (3%) ?
C'est ma principale difficulté lors de la réduction pour certains spectres. Je peux avoir une différence qui atteint quasi 10%. Dans ce cas, pour réduire la différence, je suis obligé de jouer avec la hauteur du binning du spectre pris en compte pour la réduction (lhires 3 + 2400).

Franck
Valerie Desnoux

Post by Valerie Desnoux »

Salut Franck
Non je n'ai pas d'idée... Je pencherais pour des aberrations optiques dans le spectro qui peuvent changer avec les flexions mais je loin d'etre l'experte dans ce domaine... Quand tu dis que tu joues avec la hauteur de binning, tu veux dire que tu bin moins dans le rouge que dans le bleu ? je pense qu'il faut surtout rattrapper cela avec la courbe de reponse instrumentale.
V.-
Franck Houpert

Post by Franck Houpert »

Hello,

Le binning est le même sur tout le spectre lors de la réduction.

Des fois mes spectres brutes sont moins bien focalisés dans le bleu que le rouge. Il est un peu plus large dans le bleu. Pour prendre en compte tout le signal de ce coté, je dois donc augmenter la hauteur prise en compte lors de la réduction.

Je m'interroge. Y aurait il un défaut de perpendicularité du doublet ? Si oui pourquoi la défocalisation n'a lieu que dans le bleu ?

Franck
etienne bertrand

Post by etienne bertrand »

Bonjour Franck,

Quelle caméra utilises tu ?
Est ce que la caméra est bien fixée sur le Lhires, n'est t'elle pas montée un peu penchée ?
Sinon fais tu la focalisation du doublet du néon sur chaque étoiles ?
Si tu peux mettre une photo ?
Franck Houpert

Post by Franck Houpert »

la caméra est une qsi516 qui est fixée avec les vis serrées à la clé allen. Ça ne bouge pas. La focalisation du doublet est faite sur chaque objet.

Une image d'une brute (pas de correction du tilt). On voit légèrement la défocalisation sur le coté bleu. 1 ou 2 pixels.

Le problème est que c'est différent d'un objet à l'autre, des fois pas de défocalisation, des fois une peu, des fois un peu plus. Toujours du coté bleu.

Franck
Attachments
foc.jpg
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hello Franck,

Do you also lose focus in the lines at the blue end (for example in the lamp spectrum) or is it just an increase in the width of the spectrum ? Is your telescope well collimated with a good star image in all pointing directions?

Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Franck Houpert

Post by Franck Houpert »

Hello,

(Google translation)

Lhires III 2400 35μ

I have 3 neon lines 6532 6598 and 6678. I focus on 6598 (the closest to Ha). When the focus is good on 6598, it is also good on 6678. I think 6532 is slightly defocused. It's hard to say because the intensities are different between the lines.

I realize the collimation with the lhires (guide camera) with the star closest to the slot. My telescope is a C11. I blocked the primary mirror.
Franck
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hello Franck,

I think there were some quality problems with some of the LHIRES doublet lenses. See here for example, but your problem looks different.

bad lens
https://forum.vdsastro.de/viewtopic.php ... 609#p33342
good lens
https://forum.vdsastro.de/viewtopic.php ... 609#p33585

Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk