Binning zone size?

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
SteveCuthbert

Binning zone size?

Post by SteveCuthbert »

Hi
I've noticed a few peaks in my spectra which I've traced to background light. I can remove them but need to reduce the sky removal lines until they are almost touching the spectrum and I'm wondering if there is a better way of doing it? My binning zone is about 5 pixels high at the moment to enable this which as I have to initially rotate the spectrum slightly is not really practical unless that is the only way. I would be interested to hear how others remove this background light 'noise' with ISIS please!
Thanks
Steve
Robin Leadbeater

Re: Binning zone size?

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Steve,

Provided you get your geometric corrections right, particularly smile/slant, the background lines should cancel independent of where you set the skybackground zones. Attached is an extreme example from my recent QSO measurement showing the ISIS binning zones and geometric correction settings used and the resulting processed spectrum images with and without sky background subtraction

Robin
Attachments
skyremovaltest.jpg
skyremovaltest.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
skyremovaltest_notremoved.jpg
skyremovaltest_notremoved.jpg (14.86 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
binning_zones.png
binning_zones.png (245.65 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
SteveCuthbert

Post by SteveCuthbert »

Thanks yet again Robin ;)
I wasn`t aware that a bright line above and below would cancel each other out!. I did notice I used a 400sec light but with a 300sec dark which might make a difference.
I also notice that since updating ISIS to 5.4.1 my spectra is now in colour?? This is one of TCrb!
tcrbgrab.png
regards
Steve
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

SteveCuthbert wrote: I also notice that since updating ISIS to 5.4.1 my spectra is now in colour?? This is one of TCrb!
Molecular lines showing nicely there in T CrB :-)
The colour comes from "settings" "rainbow". I've not used it myself but I presume you have to enter the extreme left and right wavelengths in the image to get the colours approx right (eg is the bright sky line in the red actually the Na D line?)

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
SteveCuthbert

Post by SteveCuthbert »

Hi Robin
I didn`t even notice there was a `rainbow` setting in ISIS :( , it must default to `rainbow` in 5.4.1.as I didn`t select it! Not sure if the colouring is correct when ISIS finishes its calibrating?.
Best
Steve
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

See "Settings" tab and left lower corner. Note "Display" area and unselect Rainbow option.

Christian