Spectroheliography with ALPY and ISIS V5.8

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Christian Buil

Spectroheliography with ALPY and ISIS V5.8

Post by Christian Buil »

On sait que le spectrographe Alpy 600 est un modèle basse résolution. Il ne parait donc pas adapté à l'observation de la chromosphère solaire, qui nécessite des instruments bien plus résolvant sur la papier. Et pourtant..., voici une image de la surface solaire dans la raie H du Ca II réalisé avec un Alpy 600 au foyer d'un vieux C8 :

It is known that the Alpy 600 spectrograph is a low-resolution instrument. It therefore does not seem suitable for observing the solar chromosphere, which requires much more resolving instruments on the paper. And yet ... here is an image of the solar surface in the Ca II line made with an Alpy 600 in the focus of an old C8:

Un détail :
A detail:

Quelques vue du setup :
Some view of the setup:

Un apport important est l'usage d'une caméra rapide permettant d'acquérir un flux vidéo élevé. On profite ici de l'arrivée des nouvelles caméras ZWO (CMOS), relativement peux couteuses, et qui peuvent ouvrir des perspectives nouvelles en spectrographie.

L'imagerie du soleil dans la Halpha (et des protubérances est limite à ce stade avec un aussi modeste spectrographe que le Alpy 600, mais on n'a pas dit le dernier mot. Il est en tout cas plaisant de détourner l'usage premier de ce spectrographe, conçu pour les objets faibles, en regardant avec lui l'étoile la plus proche !

J'en ai profité pour faire une nouvelle version de ISIS (V5.8) avec les fonctions de traitement correspondant et quelques autres choses. La manière d'exploiter ISIS pour la spectrohéliographie est décrite ici (texte en français et en anglais) :

An important contribution is the use of a fast camera to acquire a high video stream. I have taking advantage of the arrival of new cameras ZWO (CMOS), relatively inexpensive, and which can open up new perspectives in spectrography.

The imagery of the Sun in Halpha (and protuberances) is limited at this stage with such a modest spectrograph as the Alpy 600, but we did not say the last word. It is in any case pleasant to divert the first use of this spectrograph, designed for faint objects, watching with it the nearest star!

I took the opportunity to make a new version of ISIS (V5.8) with the corresponding processing functions and a few other things. The way to exploit ISIS for spectroheliography is described here (in french and english):

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/spectrohe ... index.html

Je vous suggère d'essayer par un beau Soleil, cela réchauffe par ces temps d'hiver !

Christian Buil
Ken Harrison

Re: Spectroheliography with ALPY and ISIS V5.8

Post by Ken Harrison »

Christian,
well done!
It's good to see spectroheliographs getting more publicity.
I mentioned in my book "Imaging Sunlight - Using a digital spectroheliograph" your original SHG results using IRIS, the upgrade of your ISIS software to accommodate the SHG processing is very much welcomed.
I should mention that Wah! has recently enhanced his processing software SLiM (Spectral Line Merge) which is a "one stop shop" for SHG processing.
It will be available in the files area of the Yahoo group Astronomical Spectroscopy.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before....
"Imaging Sunlight - Using a digital Spectroheliograph" - Springer
http://www.astronomicalspectroscopy.com
etienne bertrand

Re: Spectroheliography with ALPY and ISIS V5.8

Post by etienne bertrand »

Superbe, je comprends pas tout mais c'est excellent d'arriver à ce résultat!