3D printed UVEX spectrograph

Christian Buil

Re: 3D printed UVEX spectrograph

Post by Christian Buil »

If this spectrograph is a simple design, on the other hand, the exploitation and the processing of data is non standard. It would be a bit long in a simple message to describe all these aspects - I prefer to write a specific Web page when the second prototype will be realized, I think in about 10 days. I suggest you wait for a more advanced opinion.

There are three main difficulties:

- The presence of an optical aberration called field astigmatism, which means that the spectrum does not have the same width (spatial axis) as a function of the wavelength.

- There is also a horizontal distortion (deformation of the lines).

- Finally, there is no slit in normal work (only large hole), which makes it impossible to calibrate with a spectral lamp. I used the Balmer lines to find the calibration law (and now also the ozone lines for the far UV). But I recall, one can also realize visible and IR spectra. Currently, stellar lines must be used to calibrate.

The approach is that of a StarAnalyser, but here an improved StarAnalyser, a little more powerful (and complex of course). Remember, we are in the experimental and the exploration phase.

I would describe it in detail. Also, plans and 3D print files will be free to use, of course. But patience, I do not have too much time for me.

Concerning the cylindrical lens, a quart/fused silica version would clearly be better (achromat to be analyzed in the same way). The problem also arises for the windows of the camera and the detector. I was surprised of the present result despite these difficulties.

The detector's response is also a serious limit in the UV. But remember, the UV is only one of the possible uses of this spectrograph. We can also exploit it in the visible, the infrared, and I think I will change the name of the project!

We can not adapt a guidance system like the Aply system because for accessibility questions of the focal point. Changes are probably possible ... But this spectrograph can not compete a model like the Alpy. I insist, it is intended for only small telescope and refractor (because the small size of stars images ate the focus and small difficulties with sidereal time tracking), and for the pleasure of experimentation only. Suggestions are welcome as well.

But, "at the same time" (the French readers will understand, this with related to our new Republic President Macron ;-), one can do a little science with a little care...

Christian

(sorry for rough English)
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

First test of the version 2 of UVEX 3D printed spectrograph. Some internal improvement and addition of rotation capacity for the grating for select the spectral range :

Weather is very bad here for the moment (!). Some observations on daylight by adding a 10 microns slit at the entrance of the instrument. I have used a ASI1600MM CMOS camera ("very" large detector : 4656 pixels along the spectral axis of 3,8 microns -> 17.7 mm). A slit mode is not ideal for this type of spectrograph because presence of large field astigmatism, but for test... The visible and UV part of spectrum can be captured in a one shot :

The actual UV cutoff is near 3550 A with the model of CMOS camera and observational condition (cloudy sky).

Here the infrared part of the sun light spectrum by adding a red order filter :

No need to focus the camera from 3500 to 10000 A... (!) thanks to the achromatic properties of the optical definition. Wide band spectrography seem the main advantage of the concept. The spectral domain presented correspond to the full width of the detector (17.7 mm).

In the upper part of the next figure, the consequences of not using a filter of order (the infrared and blue region overlap strongly). In the lower part of the figure I exploited an order filter to isolate the calcium UV doublet (Ca II). I could observe this detail of the spectrum in order 2, but also in order 3 - this is not common and always without changing the focus (note the increase in resolution).

This is an illustration of the use of order filtering with grating spectrographs.

Christian Buil
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Christian,

Est ce que tu penses que ce spectro pourrait fonctionner avec une fibre optique avec la bonnette eshel, cela permettrai de pouvoir bénéficier de l'autoguidage.
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Il est en fait assez anachronique d'exploiter un spectrographe relativement économique avec une bonnette télescope (système à fibre eShel) qui vaut notoirement plus que le prix de ce spectrographe... C'est une question philosophique et qui est à la base de l'idée UVEX (prix faible) (la question ce pose aussi de réaliser une bonnette fibre bas cout, mais c'est délicat et c'est une autre histoire...).

Ta question fait sens malgré tout et je la comprend. Il faut analyser la performance atteinte dans une telle configuration. Compte tenu du diamètre de la fibre eShel (50 microns), la performance atteinte en résolution spectrale est extrêmement modeste, comprise entre R = 230 et 250 seulement. On est donc au niveau d'un StarAnalyser. Peut-on faire de l'astrophysique avec cela ? Oui s'en doute, mais sur des niches vraiment étroites et essentiellement pédagogique (confirmation type SN, spectrophotométrie comète, peut être observation UV si usage d'une fibre courte raccourcie optimisée, ...). C'est de toute façon une configuration que je teste actuellement et que j'emmene à l'OHP aussi je pense.

Christian
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Olivier, j'ai fait quelques tests avec une fibre optique, la fibre de 50 microns eShel

Here some test by coupling a 50 microns optical fiber to UVEX spectrograph

Mais avant, je pense qu'il est temps de montrer ce qu'est l'astigmatisme de champ dans un spectrographe Czerny-Turner tel que
je l'ai réalisé, histoire d'indiquer que l'on est assez loin des standards habituel (forme allongée des étoiles ponctuelles artificielles et résidu de coma) :

But before, I think it's time to show the field astigmatism in my Czerny-Turner spectrograph, we are far enough from the usual standards (note the elongated artificial point stars images along spatial axis and some residual of coma aberration) ! :

Maintenant, la situation avec une fibre de 50 microns (noter que le boitiers est recouvert de ruban adhésif aluminium car le plastique utilisé est transparent aux infrarouge - c'est un classique et c'était prévu ! - on verra plus tard à choisir un autre matériau) :

Now the situation with a 50 microns optical fiber (note that the camera box is covered with aluminum tape because the used plastic is transparent to infrared light- it is a big classic and it was planned! - we will see later to choose another material):

Les raies sont sensiblement plus floues. A ceci s'ajoute les aberrations optiques, toujours présente bien sur. J'ai mesuré ici un pouvoir de résolution de R=350 autour de Halpha. Ci-après des spectres étalonnées fait dans ces conditions :

The lines are substantially more blurred. Which adds to the optical aberrations, I measured here a resolution power of R = 350 around Halpha. Calibrated spectra taken under these conditions:

Comme prévu la résolution est faible, mais avec les avantages des fibres optiques (grande consistance des données acquises, facilité d'étalonnage). On peut donc tout de même faire un peu de spectroscopie dans cette configuration dans la limite de R petit. Pour des objets faibles lorsqu'on ne dispose pas d'autre chose qu'une fibre optique par exemple.

As expected, the resolution is low, but with the advantages of optical fibers (high consistency of acquired data, easy to calibration). We can still do some spectroscopy in this configuration in the limit of the modest R.

Christian Buil
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Christian,
Super pour les essais avec une fibre !!!

Oui, c'est sur que d'utiliser une bonnette qui coute plus de 2.000 € pour être utilisé avec un spectro "lowcost" c'est pas le but premier de ce genre de spectro mais dés lors que l'on a la bonnette, je m'étais dit que c'était une possibilité d'utilisation du spectro qui pouvais être intéressante pour la partie autoguidage.
Michel Verlinden

Post by Michel Verlinden »

Bonjour Christian,
Merci de ces avancées et des premiers tests du spectrographe. La possibilité de ne pas répéter les réglages de focalisation en changeant de région spectrale est un avantage pratique très intéressant. Envisages-tu de corriger optiquement l'astigmatisme de champ ? Cela ne doit pas être simple ! J'ai trouvé un article de recherche récent sur des modifications testées par une équipe de chercheurs chinois. Différentes méthodes sont comparées. Je le mets en pièce jointe. Mais peut-être l'as tu déjà parcouru.
Bien cordialement,
Michel Verlinden
ABUIABA9GAAgvL2JxQUohKyh_gQ.zip
(836.92 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Merci Michel pour cette référence. De fait, la littérature est abondante sur la question de la correction des aberrations dans les Czerny-Turner. L'usage d'une lentille cylindrique m'a parut intuitif dès le départ pour ce proto, d'autant plus que l'on en trouve un large choix chez ThorLab pour un petit prix, par exemple

Pour aller plus loin, on peut envisager d'incliner la lentille pour compenser le résidu de variation d'astigmatisme de champ, ou mieux encore, adopter une lentille (ou miroir supplémentaire) aux formes plus complexe. Le plus "simple" dans ce dernier cas est d'employer une lentille cylindrique dont le rayon de courbure change sur sa largeur. On est alors sur du non standard coté approvisionnement, mais les techniques optique type "free form" sont applicables pour arriver à une réalisation. J'étudie cette solution actuellement et on peut aussi partager. Si le coût unitaire d'un tel composant est assez prohibitif, en petite série c'est peut être autre chose. Dans ce cas, ce petit spectro Czerny-Turner devient plus facile à utiliser et plus performant encore (là, on peut envisager un système fente + guidage intégré...), car en l'état actuel, il faut tout de même un peu de doigté pour l'exploiter en routine.

Christian Buil
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

A "global" spectrum of Vega star taken with UVEX (in three part: UV, VIS and IR segments). The covered spectral domain is from 3170 A to 10300 A, nearly the max possible with normal amateur setup (CCD/CMOS detection - sea level observatory) :

Christian Buil
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Incroyable comme le spectre est propre d'un bout à l'autre.

En fait dans tout le trajet optique entre l'entrée du scope et la CCD, il n'y a aucune lentilles que des miroirs...