PlotSpectra and IRAF cropped spectra

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Andrew Smith

PlotSpectra and IRAF cropped spectra

Post by Andrew Smith »

Hi Tim, I have found an anomaly with PlotSpectra if I plot spectra cropped in IRAF.

From what I can tell you start plotting at CRVAL1 which seems reasonable. So for an original image (i.e. not cropped) IRAF has say CRVAL1 = 5763.231... and CRPIX1 = 1.
However if you crop the image rather than update CRVAL1 IRAF updates CRPIX1 , LTV1, CDELT1, CD1_1 and LTM1_1

Thus after a crop I get CRVAl1 = 5763.231 and CRPIX1 = -454.8499... and LTV1 = -455.8501.

Given the scale cropped scale is CDELT1 = 0.071884498... it looks like the plot should start at CRPIX1 - CRPIX1*CDELT1. (-ve as CRPIX1 is negative).

However I am not familiar enough with the FIT format to be sure.

I will look into how the crop is being done to see if I can make it crop without these issues.

ISIS does seem to do it correctly as far as I can tell.

Regards Andrew
Tim Lester

Re: PlotSpectra and IRAF cropped spectra

Post by Tim Lester »

Andrew,

I had to write the fit parsing routine myself as I could not find a ready made fits library for c#. My routine is definitely not a complete implementation of the fits standard. At present it only looks at NAXIS1, CRVAL1 and CDELT1 and ignores CRPIX1 (assumes it is 1). I will work on a more complete implementation. I had meant to do this earlier but because I haven't encountered any problems myself it kind of dropped off my radar.

Tim
Andrew Smith

Re: PlotSpectra and IRAF cropped spectra

Post by Andrew Smith »

Thanks Tim, sorry to create work for you. Regards Andrew