UVEX spectrograph (version 2)

Christian Buil

Re: UVEX spectrograph (version 2)

Post by Christian Buil »

Ultraviolet transmission of popular camera windows. The transmission is honest for the near ultraviolet, but a gain of 50% at 330 nm is possible by using a simple uncoated BK7 glass window. The exchange is reversible. This is a significant improvement for UV observation.

Le graphe suivant montre la transmission optique dans l'ultraviolet des hublots des caméras ATIK460EX et ASI1600MM. J'ai aussi fait figurer la transmission d'une lame de verre non traité (un filtre WG305 Schott), donc les caractéristiques sont voisine de celle d'un verre courant type BK7 :

J'ai obtenu ces données avec un spectromètre BRUKER VERTEX 80v, un moyen auquel tout le monde n'a pas accès...

Le traitement AR des hublots des caméras offre une transmission optique proche de 100% au dessus de 400 nm. Ensuite, à cause du coating et/ou de l'absorption interne du verre utilisé, la transmission chute progressivement, avec un blocage presque total vers 300 nm. Les caractéristiques des fenêtres des caméras ATIK et ZWO sont proche (la documentation ZWO indique une transmission optique moins favorable, mais j'ai confiance en mes mesures).

Ce type d'information est bien sur très utile pour optimiser un spectrographe comme UVEX.Le remplacement de la fenêtre d'origine de la caméra par un simple hublot en BK7 fait perdre un peu de signal au dessus de 390 nm, mais le gain est proche de 50% vers 330 nm - une longueur d'onde proche de la limite pour UVEX et une observation depuis le sol. J'envisage sérieusement cette modification (le processus est réversible).

Christian
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hello Christian,

But what about the curve for the sensor cover glass? I understand the sensor in the ATK460 may have an AR coating which is why it does not give fringes at high resolution.

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Hello Robin, the access to this component is not possible (it is glued to the detector ceramic). I can not measure the cover glass (for the moment...).
It is a thin blade (nearly 0.2 mm), so the internal absorption is less severe, but the exact nature of the glass (and coating) is unknown.

The camera global transmission is the product of the camera window transmission and detector cover glass transmission. If the camera main protective window transmission is improved (20-50%) it is a clear progress (but I agree, the situation is not perfect). In an ideal world, existing windows should be replaced by silica windows.

Christian
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hello Christian,

Is the ATK414 more sensitive to UV than the ATK460 because

(a) the sensor QE is higher or
(b) because the sensor cover glass does not have an AR coating or
(c) because the camera protective window does not have an AR coating ?

I suspect the reason is (b). (This would explain why the ATK414 gives severe fringes at high resolution with the LHIRES). If this is the case then an ATK414 with a clear protective glass could be the most sensitive solution as both windows will give good UV transmission. (It is a shame that the sensor size is smaller though)

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

A propos du démontage de la fenêtre d'une caméra Atik (question qui m'a été posée par ailleurs). Pas de collage, il faut dévisser une bague, pas très compliqué :

(j'ai utilisé un outil pratique ThoLabs ref. SPW801)

Pour les caméras SWO, il y a 4 vis à retirer, ce n'est pas plus compliqué.

Bien sur, il faut régénérer le sel desséchant après remontage.

Robin, difficile de connaitre l'origine de la coupure dans l'UV. Il est probable qu'il y a plusieurs causes, elles se cumulent. La fenêtre du capteur est surement l'une d'elle (de toute manière, tous les verres "normaux" deviennent opaques en dessous de 290-300 nm), mais je ne pense pas que la cause principale soit ici. Les caractéristiques du capteur lui-même (rendement quantique intrinsèque) me semble être la source la plus probable à ce stade. Mais il faut poursuivre l'analyse (actuellement je travaille sur la caractérisation de la fente employé sur les spectrographes Alpy, Lisa,.. on sait jamais). Mais une fois de plus, à moins d'utiliser un détecteur éclairé par l'arrière (backside), tous les capteurs standard ont une limite à cause de l'absorption dans les couches "épaisses" du capteur.

Christian
James Foster

Post by James Foster »

Just purchased a 1" diameter/1mm thickness Thorlabs UV silca window for my new Atik414 and SPW810 spanner; the Silica UV was only $10 more than the un-coated BK7.
Next purchase is the Thorlab components for the UVEX!

After reading Christians UVEX construction guide, I used the 25 micron "clear-slit" on R Aqr with good results:

Despite the impressive results in the UV end, I'd rather use the "glass-cover" slit, like the 23/200 micron photometric slit. The Alpy600 original clear-slit on nickel can only be
used on obvious targets; i.e. >10 magnitude. Because the only objects visible are under the slit, It is impossible to visualize a faint background of stars necessary to assure
that the correct object to place on the slit. I use AASVO 7.5' minute wide charts which pinpoint where the object of spectral interest is, and its very easy to see with the
glass photometric slit .

....it would be great is Shelyak or another company made a slit that had no UV absorbing glass over it, yet was able to let enough light in to see the faint star-field of the target
spectral object.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Lhires III (2400/1800/600 ln/mm Grat) Spectroscope
LISA IR/Visual Spectroscope (IR Configured)
Alpy 200/600 with Guide/Calibration modules and Photometric slit
Star Analyzer 200