Some MILES stars missing in ISIS ?

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Christian Buil

Re: Some MILES stars missing in ISIS ?

Post by Christian Buil »

Robin,

The interstellar extinction corrected spectra (the original MILES data) are downloaded here : http://www.iac.es/proyecto/miles/pages/ ... ibrary.php (FITS file).

The actual MILES version for ISIS is the apparent spectral profile (reddened). For the conversion, I use an automatic (internal) version of Misc -> Extinction tool of ISIS.

Christian
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Thanks Christian,

@Woody, Ibrahima

I do not think just adding the MILES spectra directly as you suggest will work correctly as the spectra from the MILES website are not as observed, but Interstellar extinction corrected by default. You could perhaps take the non dereddened version from Paolo Berardi's Exel spreadsheet but now Christian has updated his database that would be the easiest way to go.

Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Robin Leadbeater

Hi Christian,

I am seeing large differences between the old and new ISIS databases. Here is MILES HD223385 for example. Is the reddening working correctly ?

Cheers
Robin
m_hd223385_isisdb2014.png
m_hd223385_isisdb2014.png (20.69 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Ibrahima

Post by Ibrahima »

Hi Robin.
Thanks for your comment. You are right, personnally I prefer using ISIS (and its included database) cause it is simpler for me.
Also thanks to Christian for the great job.

Best regards,
Ibrahima.
Robin Leadbeater

It looks like the spectra uncorrected for IS extinction used in PB's spreadsheet and the original ISIS database may be the problem. If we start with this spectrum for HD223385 and correct for IS extinction (using either PB's spreadsheet or ISIS) we get a much hotter star than type A3i. The IS extinction corrected spectrum in MILES is a good fit to the Pickles spectrum of the same type. I have not checked any other spectra to see if this is just a problem with this star or a more general problem

Robin
HD223385__MILES_IS_extn_corrected.png
HD223385__MILES_IS_extn_corrected.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
Paolo Berardi

Post by Paolo Berardi »

Hi all,

Christian, thanks a lot for the new database!

Robin, perhaps another library spectrum should be checked: HD044691 (RR Lyn, V mag 5.54) is an eclipsing binary system (period ~10d). Primary and secondary components have different Teff (about 8000K and 7200K, reference doc) and continuum could vary over time.

The A3m profile in the Miles db (the star has type kA3hA7VmF2 in Simbad) resemble that of an F6 class star. Below the comparison with Miles HD058551 (F6V in both Miles and Simbad). The Pickles F6V continuum is very similar too.

Thanks to all for this useful topic.

Paolo
Last edited by Paolo Berardi on Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo Berardi

Post by Paolo Berardi »

Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

But ... it is not recommended at all to use hightly reddened stars to calculate spectral responses. Stars with large E (b-v) must absolutely be rejected for this task (the reddening model can change little from one author to another). Remember, calculating the instrumental response is the first function of the MILES database for me. Choses stars with E(b-v) value near zero.

Christian
Forrest Sims

Post by Forrest Sims »

Hi All,

What a great discussion. Thank you Robin, Ibrahima and Paolo for your ideas.

Hi Christian,

Many thanks for the new version of the database with many more Miles stars! This should make it easier in some locations in the sky to find a good reference star. And a good reminder to choose reference stars with E(b-v) near zero. François Teyssier stressed the importance of this to me at the beginning and now I have a better understanding of why this is so.

Is it correct to conclude that the Miles stars you have added in this latest version of the database are dimmer than Mag 7? if this is true can we just compensate with longer exposures to allow ISIS to calculate the instrumental response?

All the best,
Woody
etienne bertrand

Post by etienne bertrand »

Bonjour,

Pouvez vous m'expliquer, ces nouvelles étoiles servent à quoi exactement ? Est pour les spectros eshel et Lhires qu'on les utilise ? Les spectres sont en haute résolution il me semble. Pour l'Alpy j'utilise toujours la base : Pickles
Merci