ISIS503 can not perform gnuplot

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Firefly

ISIS503 can not perform gnuplot

Post by Firefly »

Hi dear Mr. Buil,

1st Xmas is coming, I send my best wishes to you & all others here, HAPPY NEW YEAR~
But I think that I have to bother you at this special time, :( because ISIS again refuses to work for me, :cry: just like that time when version 5.0.3 can not show the sliders for adjustment of contrast. Do you remember that?

2 things: [my ISIS is 5.0.3]

1). Tab "gnuplot" does not work. I click free plot button, nothing appears on the screen of PC,only in working directory it produces @.dat. But ISIS4.3.0 which I have ever used DOES work well and Gnuplot 4.6 works automatically after I click this button. Please see attached screenshots.

2). With 2400l grating, SONY285 CCD, on 18~19 Dec., from 21:00~2:00, I took 42 spectra of Mintaka, (6x300s) x 7, it is 7x30 minutes. I want to animate, "spectrum processing1,2,3" Tabs work well, but at last step ISIS failed. I read the tutorial and find the example is spectra takn by 600l grating and there is a G600.lst, I want to ask if I MUST write a .LST in working directory even though I am using a 2400l grating? If it is a mandatory for intermediate & low resolution power gratings, such as 1800,1200,600 etc.. that I must write a .LST? And if the fact that Gnuplot does not work is one of the reasons of animation failure?? :?:

And I can not understand well the following sentenses. Could you make it more easier? Yes, I just notice that although there are 42 spectra, I find in the processing window ISIS produces about 93 .dat files, without any .png formatted files.

....."The time boundaries are defined in Julian day. Please note, dates are to be covered by observational data (ISIS can interpolate data, but it cannot make extrapolation). The selected day step define the number of images present in the animated GIF. Juts select a normal time sampling for observe your phenomena. A hundred image is already a very respectable number." ....

BTW, I can only OCCASIONALLY log into our forum, so I copy this letter and send to your wanadoo address. It seems today is a lucky, perhaps for X-mas is coming??? :roll:

Waiting for your help....

All my best,

Dong. Li
Attachments
t5.jpg
t4.jpg
t4.jpg (108.62 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
t3.jpg
t3.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
produced by isis430 with Gnuplot4.6
produced by isis430 with Gnuplot4.6
t2.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Robin Leadbeater

Re: ISIS503 can not perform gnuplot

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Firefly wrote:
1). Tab "gnuplot" does not work. I click free plot button, nothing appears on the screen of PC,only in working directory it produces @.dat. But ISIS4.3.0 which I have ever used DOES work well and Gnuplot 4.6 works automatically after I click this button. Please see attached screenshots.
Hello Dong,

Although the instructions say you can instal gnuplot anywhere, on my system I could only get it to work when it was installed in c:/gnuplot.
Also I think the ISIS .gnu files might have been updated for version 5 So it might be worth downloading them again from here
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/isis/gnuplot/install.htm
and reinstal them in the gnuplot folder.

There is also a newer version of ISIS (5.1.1)
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/isis/isis_en.htm

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Martin Dubs

Post by Martin Dubs »

Hi Robin and Dong,

what ISIS does not like is a Gnuplot directory with space such as "C:\Program Files\Gnuplot" or directories which are renamed in Windows 7, such as \mydocuments. The plotfiles std2.gnu and std2y.gnu have beeen changed for V5.

Regards, Martin
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you very much Robin & Martin!

I have already downloaded ISIS 512, but I am not clear on this [please see picture]. which should I choose? My PC is Windows XP , professional version 2002, service package 3. What is WXT? :?: XT=XP?

cheers,

Dong
Attachments
t.jpg
t.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi, Robin & Martin:

Thank you for your help! Now I can run Gnuplot with ISIS 5.1.2.

Thank you again :) my dear teachers~~

My best,

Dong. Li