Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Peter Zetner

Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Post by Peter Zetner »

Hello Everyone.

Greetings from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada at the geographical centre of the North American continent. I am a recently retired physics professor and am pursuing my lifelong interest in astronomy. In the last couple of years, I have devoted a considerable amount of time to solar imaging and spectroscopy with a homebuilt spectroheliograph based on a converted surplus Czerny-Turner spectrograph. An article describing some of these studies was recently published in the online Journal "Spektrum" (v.52) of the Vereinigung der Sternfreunde:

http://spektroskopie.vdsastro.de/files/ ... trum52.pdf

I am very much interested in stellar spectroscopy and am designing / adapting equipment for that purpose. I currently have an adapted Oriel MS125 spectrometer (eBay purchase) which will be coupled to a Celestron C8 and brought into action this coming observing season. This system has been bench tested using a mercury line source and demonstrates a spectral range of 2200A across 1600px with R~1300 for 25micron slit and 1200 l/mm grating. Other gratings can also be used and I look forward to experimenting and learning from this group about desirable choices. I am also constructing a high resolution system (R~50000) for detailed study of stellar H-alpha lineshapes as well as a low resolution system based on a Wollaston prism interferometer. I tend to enjoy designing and building instruments but will try to discipline myself to get outside regularly and make observations!

I find the ARAS Forum very active and informative. I'm very interested in learning which stars are good candidates for continued study and at which spectral resolution levels. I am especially interested in Be and other emission line stars. Hopefully, by the spring / summer 2018 I can start posting results!

Regards.
Peter.
Francois Teyssier

Re: Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Dear Peter,
Welcome on the forum
Yes, Be are nice targets
Don't forget symbiotics
Many lines in emission, fast variations, long term monitoring will produce very valuable information
François
Ken Harrison

Post by Ken Harrison »

Peter,
Good to see you here.
The group has a Great wealth of knowledge and experience to share.
Ken
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before....
"Imaging Sunlight - Using a digital Spectroheliograph" - Springer
http://www.astronomicalspectroscopy.com
Peter Zetner

Post by Peter Zetner »

Hello Ken and Francois.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers.
Peter.