Hi from nelson, new zealand

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Hamish Barker

Hi from nelson, new zealand

Post by Hamish Barker »

Hi all,

I bought a star analyser 100 last year and have been using it on wr78 and 79 recently. Unfortunately my camera is only a dslr with almost zero response in h alpha but I'm in the process of obtaining a cheap secondhand one to remove the ir filters as currently my budget doesn't allow a dedicated astro camera purchase.

I have also built a classical transmission spectrograph using 1000lpm plastic grating. Some alignment work is still needed as well as the all important guiding reflective slit and relay optics.

I'm keen to further investigate wr78 binary status and also contribute to be star observations for southern stars.

Wishing all dark and clear skies with good seeing,
Hamish
Francois Teyssier

Re: Hi from nelson, new zealand

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Hi Hamish,

Welcome on the forum and spectroscopy world

François
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

The camera is now full spectrum modified with the uv/ir filters replaced with fused silica.
Star analyser spectra look as though overlapping 1st order ir and second order uv might be an issue.
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

The camera is now full spectrum modified with the uv/ir filters replaced with fused silica.
Star analyser spectra look as though overlapping 1st order IR and second order uv might be an issue.

I wonder how far into IR the sensitivity extends, so will try with a uv cut filter ( need to test its cutoff first), then an orange wratten 12 ( circa 500nm) low pass filter first, then a pure IR .

Spectra of wr78 and 79 are showing extended detail at both uv and ir ends. Wr79 definitely the blended peak of HeI, CIII or CIV at about 7100Å. Beyond that i cant be certain as the second order of the minimum camera response around 3600Å may be appearing.

I'll post the spectra later today. Does Bess have a WR star section also for posting spectra?

Now that i have good response at Halpha and longer, i guess it's time to start measuring some of the neglected southern Be stars!

Cheers,
Hamish
Stu Todd

Post by Stu Todd »

Welcome Hamish.
Nice to see another NZ spectroscopist after what seems like years!

Stu
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

HI Stu,

Nice to hear from you.

have you taken any spectra of the current nova in the SMC? Took some last night and shooting again now, will be interesting to see if there's any difference.

it was about mag 11 or 11.5 last night.

I'm in the process of organising a key for the nelson science society observatory, so hopefully I'll be getting some data using the nice big C14/cgx soonish. But even the SA100 is very good for getting proficient at reducing the spectra.

Cheers, and do keep in contact if you are heading north!

Hamish
Stu Todd

Post by Stu Todd »

I've been unlucky with clouds of late so haven't gone for the nova yet.
I've certainly had success with previous ones though, the SA100 is a nice thing to have, the Lhires is limited to 9th mag or so.

I used mine on the C14 here in Dunedin but with a sub optimal f6.3 reducer (as other people used the scope too).

Give me a shout if you find yourself down south Hamish!

Stu