Hello from London and Australia

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Gavin Boyle

Hello from London and Australia

Post by Gavin Boyle »

I'm afraid that I have broken the rules of complexity but as a result have an interesting set up that I can control remotely.
The rig is a 20"/0.5m RCOS at Siding Springs in Australia and is equipped with an eShel which seems now to be up and running thanks to the guys at Shelyak and Olivier Garde.
This same scope also has an FLI16803 with many filters (at F8.1), an FLI colour ML8300 (F6.7) and an ASI174 for planetary work at F32 all thanks to a 4- port selector. Itelescope host the equipment for me.
I am a near total beginner as far as spectroscopy is concerned and would welcome the chance to partner in some studies with more experienced eShel users who might like access to southern sky data. My view to this he north is restricted to above 60degrees but is otherwise fine.
Francois Teyssier

Re: Hello from London and Australia

Post by Francois Teyssier »

You're welcome, Gavin
What an impressive setup
Excellent for southern novae, notably

François Teyssier
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Hi Gavin,

Nice to see you here on this forum.
You have a great set up in southern hemisphere (you can do many target that we can't see in this north...)

Olivier GARDE
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Bernard Heathcote

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

Hi Gavin,

Welcome to amateur spectroscopy and especially to the small number of amateurs doing it in the southern hemisphere. If you have not done any medium/high resolution spectroscopy before then jumping in at the deep end with an eShel is a big jump indeed ... but hopefully there are enough of us around to help you along the bumpy road.

I have been doing spectroscopy in Australia for nearly 20 years ... eleven years with my Lhires III, with the addition of an eShel seven years ago. I work from my inner Melbourne home (with a C11) and also from my observatory in central Victoria (C14).

Three years ago I set up SASER (Southern Astro Spectroscopy Email Ring), a 'closed' group of southern hemisphere amateurs to work with professional astronomers worldwide on pro-am projects and campaigns. While still a small group, with most of our members in Australia we also have some in Brazil and NZ. You can get an idea of the work we do at http://saser.wholemeal.co.nz/. Once you feel reasonably confident about taking good spectra you are most welcome to join the group, if it is of interest to you.

Once again, welcome aboard ... to the to the challenging, fascinating and rewarding world of medium/high resolution stellar spectroscopy!

Bernard Heathcote
Bernard Heathcote

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

Hi Gavin,

I forgot to add that you are welcome to contact me directly to discuss any matters relating to spectroscopy in general, eShel, SASER, etc ... at spectrasouth at bigpond dot com.

Cheers,
Bernard