Comment ISIS calcule t il le pouvoir de résolution ?

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Hubert Boussier

Comment ISIS calcule t il le pouvoir de résolution ?

Post by Hubert Boussier »

Bonjour,
Lorsque je réduit mes spectres faits avec un LISA, ISIS donne dans l'onglet "GO" une valeur du pouvoir de résolution. Je ne sais pas comment ISIS calcule cette valeur et je n'arrive pas à trouver cette information ni sur la documentation d'ISIS ni sur ce forum.
J'ai probablement mal cherché car il me semble impossible que Christian n'ait pas donné cette information quelque part, mais bon cela fait longtemps que je tourne en rond sans trouver, donc si vous pouviez m'indiquer un lien qui puisse m'éclairer.

NB : je m'interroge car les valeurs données par ISIS ne me semblent pas toujours très cohérentes, en tout cas elles sont quelques fois inattendues, savoir quels paramètres ISIS prend en compte pour ce calcul me permettrait probablement de comprendre ces résultats.

Merci d'avance
Hubert Boussier

Re: Comment ISIS calcule t il le pouvoir de résolution ?

Pour préciser ma question, il est écrit dans la documentation Shelyak du LISA que ISIS calculait la résolution à l'aide de la valeur de la FWHM des raies du Néon en considérant que delta lambda=la FWHM.
1/ Quelles sont ces raies ?
2/ Fait-il une moyenne ?
3/Avec le LISA, comme il est difficile d'avoir une mise au point parfaite sur l'ensemble du spectre, je suis parfois amené à privilégier une zone du spectre visible, qui me semble la plus intéressante. Pour les spectres de comètes, je privilégie la zone autour de 4000Å, cela doit donc avoir une influence directe sur le calcul du pouvoir de résolution fait par ISIS car du coup la zone autour de 6000Å où se trouvent les raies du néon est mal focalisée.
4/ J'étalonne en longueur d'onde avec un fichier, ISIS utilise-t-il toutes les raies de ce fichier pour le calcul ou bien un autre jeu de raies ?
5/Si ISIS n'utilise que les raies du néon pour faire son calcul, le résultat que donne ISIS serait il donc complètement indépendant des conditions d'observation ,seeing, mise au point du télescope ?
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hello Hubert,

I have not seen details of how ISIS calculates resolution described anywhere either. I think Christian is keeping it a secret ;) I assume it measures the FWHM of the calibration lamp lines He does say somewhere that it is only an approximate measurement though.

With a slit spectrograph the resolution does not depend on the seeing, guiding or telescope focus. The width of the image in the spectrograph is defined by the slit. The f ratio of the neon lamp should be approximately the same as the telescope though for an accurate measurement of resolution and the resolution can vary across the field if there are any aberrations in the optics.

PS sorry for the English. I understand French better than I can write it :D

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Hubert Boussier

Thank you Robin for your answer.

So this mean that the assessment of the resolution power given by ISIS is only based upon the FWHM of the calibration lamp line, but we do not know what is (are) the calibration line (s) that is (are) taken into account by ISIS.
So I could be able to assess the resolution power by measuring the FWHM of the calibration lamp line image.
I did it and found a 2<FWHM<3.5 depending on the line and on the part of the spectrum. My set –up sampling is 2.75 Å/pixel, so taking an average value of 2.75 for the FWHM, the delta lambda should about 2.75*2.75=7.6 Å. So the average resolution power lambda/delta lambda should be about 5500/7.6=700.
The value given by ISIS will depend on the part of the spectrum and of the line(s) used for this assessment. In my case ISIS give a value of 560 which is consistent with the previous assessment.

Hubert
Valerie Desnoux

Post by Valerie Desnoux »

Hi
I do not know for ISIS. But you are right the resolution power shall come with the wavelength at which it is computed. That's why in BeSS we have two keywords for this. One for the resolution and one for the wavelength.
Valerie
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Hi,

I compute the mean FWHM on neon lines (6) distributed between 5800 and 7000 A for evaluate the spectral resolution.
So the value is only valid around 6400 A (i.e. resolution power is for lambda = 6400 A) (and you can not extrapolate to the blue region of course). The info is only indicative, you can evaluate by yourself the FWHM on narrow stellar lines with the FWHM tools, for example (it is my recommandation).

Christian
David Boyd

Post by David Boyd »

Hi Christian,

Since I switched from the neon lamp to the new argon-neon lamp in my LISA, the resolving power calculated by ISIS has gone down from ~1100 to around 800-900. I don't believe the actual resolving power of the spectrograph has changed. The FWHM of the calibration lamp lines certainly measure the same. So I guess this is because a predefined set of neon lines is used to calculate the resolving power as you described above and that these lines may no longer be the most appropriate ones to use with the new lamp?

Since this value of the spectral resolving power is written by ISIS into the FITS file header for the output spectra, it would be better if the computed resolving power using the new lamp more accurately reflected the real performance of the LISA.

Thanks,
David