ALPY 600 Ordered! Training?

Ask your questions, show your results
EdWiley

ALPY 600 Ordered! Training?

Post by EdWiley »

Just ordered the ALPY (all three modules) and hoping for detailed advice. Background as related to Robin in an email. I began photometry by imaging Landolt fields. This was instructive because I could judge my results against standards. Robin suggested that I might start out with Miles standards. That sound like an excellent suggestion. I assume I will be determining instrumental response using an AO star of convenience. From there may I assume that I will pick out Miles standards, image them and then compare against the Miles catalog data that is in ISIS? (or catalogue in real English :))

I am a bit unclear on the instrumental response part, not how to perform it, but the order of operations. For example: (1) pick an A0 star 4-6 mag to determine instrumental response from the Miles list, calibrate it and use it to determine response. (2) Then image another Miles standard in the same area for practice and see how I do.

This seems clear from Christian's Lisa tutorial. Now, if I go to another part of the sky, will I have to determine instrument response again? I would guess I do, since the response is "in the atmosphere." Rather like differential photometry rather than all sky photometry?

Looking forward to using my ALPY,

Ed