Isis - difference between `open` and `display` buttons?

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
SteveCuthbert

Isis - difference between `open` and `display` buttons?

Post by SteveCuthbert »

Hi
Wondering if anyone could explain the difference between the `open` and `display` buttons in ISIS please?. I`m running ISIS under Mono runtime in Linux and I can click on the `open` button to open any image such as wr133.fit and it displays fine but if I click on the `display` button it says `file /home/steve/Isis\wr133.fit not found` even though I have the working directory set to /home/steve/Isis and the file wr133.fit is stored there?. As the file is not seen at that location then ISIS can`t proceed with the processing.
thanks
Steve
Robin Leadbeater

Re: Isis - difference between `open` and `display` buttons?

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Steve,

The problem with the display and forward/back buttons in ISIS is a common one and is almost certainly because your file naming is not quite right. The buttons are designed to run through a sequence of numbered images to be combined and the names have to be in the exact format.

Make sure the file location is setup in "settings" and the separator between file name and number as set in "general" " file name prefix and suffix" agrees with what you are actually using and the files are numbered sequentially from 1 up with no leading zeros.

So in your example your file name would need to be wr133-1.fit and your suffix separator set to -

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
SteveCuthbert

Re: Isis - difference between `open` and `display` buttons?

Post by SteveCuthbert »

Thanks for the reply Robin
I suspect my problem with ISIS not seeing the files is that as a Windows application ISIS is expecting the working directory path to be something like C:\ISIS\Tuesday and not /home/steve/ISIS/Tuesday which is how it pans out with Linux. I managed to get ISIS up and running ok in Linux and its trying to get ISIS to `see` these files when they are clearly there which is most frustrating. I wanted to abandon Windows altogether for various reasons but it looks like I`ll have to keep a partition with it on purely to run ISIS or set up a virtual drive which is unknown territory for me. As you know its easy to setup the working directory path in ISIS and I`m tempted to think it can be done in Linux and maybe I`ve not got the path right yet although I`m running out of options, for instance just tried putting the file wr133.fit on the desktop I tried \Desktop in the working directory path and got `file not found`, tried your suggestion got the same and so on........... all interesting (?) stuff
regards
Steve