Hello from Hungary

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Peter Somogyi

Hello from Hungary

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Hi Forum,

My name is Peter Somogyi, an amateur from Hungary.
I was born in 1976, graduated as Programmer Mathematician and working permanently as a Software Developer (for 10 years in Linux).
Near my job, I've gained interest slowly and undeniably in astronomy since 2009, doing deepsky photography between 2011-2013 using IRAF + own custom scripts (reference: http://www.tavcso.hu/?o=galeria&f=psomogyi).
I'm through lots of experiments with the Star Analyser 100 + prism + mono DSLR, following the Nova Del 2013 bringing me here.
Managed to try Alpy 600 also with a mono DSLR without the barlow.

Actual main instruments:
- Alpy 600 + guide module
- 25cm f4 newton (skywatcher) + eq6 goto
- Orion StarShoot G3 mono
- ASI 130MM (to guide)

I have got the ability for weekend observations in the countryside (80 km from Budapest).
Motivation is to send spectra to this database (already have some), and to use others data as well to my studies and local publications for amateurs, with respect to requirements.

I hope together we can cooperate and learn with fun!

Peter Somogyi
Miguel Rodriguez

Re: Hello from Hungary

Post by Miguel Rodriguez »

Hello Peter, I am a newcomer to this forum, too. I am using Alpy600 too, this is a very powerful spectroscopic tool even is a low resolution spectroscope, together wih ISIS software tool. I think you will enjoy a lot using it. And observing far from city will be of very help too If you try to analyse dimmer objects, avoiding a strong spectral signal from light pollution.

Cheers
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Hi Miguel,
Thanks, I've already collected some Alpy spectra including yours to build some change diagram, good that more of us have similar instruments!
Wish I had a scope in Spain, the satellite picture is usually so nice over there when looking at sat24 while the hope of a clear sky is lost here :)
Back to the facts, I will be a rare observer but when putting up the instruments, definitely use all available time!
As a consequence, I usually invest equipment only conservatively and slowly. The guide module has already been a too big step for me now, which made things productive enough to go here.
It's not exactly countryside - just the suburban of a small town, but the lines are easily subtracted, as visually seen on one of the intermediate 2D fit image generated by ISIS (only towards Y-boundaries becomes it visible again, for some reason).
Cheers,
Peter
Miguel Rodriguez

Hi Peter, my country is definitively a sunny one, but when rain fronts enters they persists over days and weeks; last winter and spring were rainy and very cloudy.
Your optical tube and mount is a very good choice. When thinking for the next investment I strongly recommend you the calibration module, unless you could obtain your own incandescent and neon light sources. The module is ready to operate easily once is switched on; I've never did my calibration frames so easily and effortless, and every night. Now I am planning how to switch on and off flat light and neon lamp remotely and not having to stand-up and going to the telescope (three meters from me :oops: :D ) for every neon callibration image.

clear skies and good spectra
Miguel
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Hi Miguel, yes the mount + optics is really cost effective (was no reason to go with lower aperture when bought it), maybe what I'm suspecting is that some of the f/4 is cut on the guide module (Alpy is optimized for f5).

Regarding calib lamp: I've read it now, and haven't found remote control possibility which is surpising.

And the lack of remote control keeps me away from it, because I usually go to back into the house (to do other activities meanwhile) using VNC + wifi to control the setup which is in the end of the backyard (getting outside + 50 meter).
This becomes a bigger problem in winter (= longest nights with extra cooling), you will certainly refuse to risk your fingers freezing on the laptop outside below 0 C. (I tried such, and know exactly what it does really mean.)

The other reason for not having to touch anything on the scope is what I learned from AP: focus and collimation can easily go away, and not sure what happens to internal parts of Alpy but if this calib module's purpose is getting precise, I wouldn't even do any physical shock to Alpy like clicking a button. Maybe people having less f-ratio don't notice it.

Therefore my plan here is to get a Neon lamp switching on/off remotely and produce somehow an ambient light, that can be easily made remote. And also thinking of using the pollution light, or both.
As for the flat, I think doing it on the workbench while disassembled is mostly good, the calib lamp also closing out the outside optics.

Besides calib lamp, I realize there are other cost multipliers - altogether:
- guide cam (mag limit is 11 at 1 sec, couldn't yet try the binning - no option in MetaGuide, PHD2 is always crashing on my win7, firecapture offers the bin but it can't guide normally)
- bigger sec. mirror (actual one is barely enough, but someone told +few mm than ideal would be nice because cheaper mirrors are not polished on the edge, and can be less than 90% reflection), maybe recoat the 250mm mirror to have 96% reflection
- OrionG3 is extremely cost effective and really much usable - (fixing its output by a script), but the pixel size (8.6um) is quite big, makes it harder for precise wavelength measurements

I plan to improve these slowly with time, understanding from you the calib light is maybe the first.

Clear skies,
Peter
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Peter and Miguel and welcome to the group.

Several ALPY 600 users operate their calibration unit remotely. 3 different solutions are described here for example which might give you some ideas.
http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=713

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Miguel Rodriguez

Hi Peter, it was the point. After making possible a fine centering and guiding through the guiding module, I've considered calibration (wavelength and response) the key to get 'true science-ready' spectra. No matter how big is the telescope, there is no usable spectra without calibration.

But of course you can add external calibration sources, and there are calibration procedures in ISIS using the Balmer hydrogen lines, or some emission lines fron light pollution.

Alpy calibration module have separate switches dedicated to remote operation, but user has to arrange a system to turn I/O the lamps. My idea is to use a two-5V relay board to close or open the 12V current from a source, wich would be controlled by a raspberry pi running a python script. RPI would be accessed by remote desktop. An arduino board would do the same task, in this case, attached to an ethernet shield (I think I would be more familiar with arduino). This is a first approach, ideas are welcome...

Cheers
Miguel Rodriguez

Thanks Robin, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Regards
Miguel
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Robin, good to know there are existing solutions for remote lamp!

Miguel, thank you for the advice, some solution for a cal. light will be my next step then!
So far my spectra has already been calibrated by Balmer + telluric lines of the ref. star in ISIS as you mentioned, understanding it's not the highest precision, but it should be usable for relative velocities (assuming I've chosen the appropriate lowlevel polynom - that was the default, followed the ISIS howto without cal. lamp).

This weekend looks to have a chance for a session, but then I'll be out for a few weeks, then will post here when got to a better solution.

Cheers,
Peter
Miguel Rodriguez

Hi Peter, I hope you could be able to observe last weekend.

As for the remote control of calibration module, I've found a better solution for myself. I've been using a controller board (trade name 'Seletek') to run a focusing motor remotely. I've found that this controller can switch on/off calibration lights adding a customized extension. A program in my computer to switch the pins of the controller on/off would do the task. Probably this extension for Seletek will be made soon by the designer and vendor of the device.

Regards