CH Cyg and standard star

Show your spectra, your results ...
Keith Graham

CH Cyg and standard star

Post by Keith Graham »

Hi,

I see that the CH Cyg request by Augustin Skopal requires a standard star (HD192640) for high res spectroscopy. Can someone please tell me what I need to do with this standard star? The Gemini.edu web site mentions that standards are used to cancel out telluric lines (mostly for IR specs). My understanding when submitting data to BeSS is telluric cancellation should not be done, so I have not had any experience using standard stars. And our spectra will not be in IR anyhow. So should a spectrum of the standard star be submitted along with the target (CH Cyg) so Dr. Skopal can apply it as he sees fit? I am uncertain as to exactly what should I do with the standard star. Can someone please offer advice?

Thanks,

Keith Graham
Francois Teyssier

Re: CH Cyg and standard star

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Hello Keith,

Calibration star will be useful for IR for eShel spectra.
Of course, for narrow band spectra, you use the standart method.
For A. Skopal project, yje most important will be to get a good spectral calibration.

François
Keith Graham

Re: CH Cyg and standard star

Post by Keith Graham »

Thanks Francois.

Your explanation of the use of the standard star for IR is exactly what I had gleaned from the Gemini.edu site, but I was uncertain if the Skopal project had other uses for it.

So by "standard method" are you referring to the usual neon/telluric calibration?

Cheers,

Keith