Gerhard Hirth

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Gerhard Hirth

Gerhard Hirth

Post by Gerhard Hirth »

Hi,
I am in my early 50ies and worked as a professional astronomer 25 yrs ago - still active with focus on solar astronomy (taking pictures in Ha, NaD, CaK and soon MgIb2) and variable star observation down to mag 15. Since one year I am using my LISA on a 14" SCT and processed already a dozen of spectra of variable stars. A few weeks ago I ordered the Sol'ex optical kit (cool stuff!) and a few days ago the LHIRESIII... Yes - I am addicted to spectroscopy ;-). During my studies I was working on long-slit spectroscopy of outflows from YSOs with Coudé-Spectrographs on telescopes of the 2,2 to 4,1m class. At that time I could not imagine adopting spectroscopy as an amateur! Besides my research focus I am engaged in public outreach activities through managing the public observatory of Meckesheim in the Rhein-Neckar-Region close to Heidelberg. Within this forum I would like gain more experience in supporting campaigns and sharing results.
Looking forward working with you!
Gerhard
James Foster

Re: Gerhard Hirth

Post by James Foster »

Nice to have you on board! I was bitten by the spectroscopy bug after doing 10 years of asteroid astrometry and stellar photometry.
My spectroscopes include(d) the LX200, LISA, Alpy600, LhiresIII, and now the eShel2 which I am still learning.
Hope to see some of your work and please feel free to contribute your spectra to ARAS, BAA, and AASVO spectra databases.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Lhires III (2400/1800/600 ln/mm Grat) Spectroscope
LISA IR/Visual Spectroscope (IR Configured)
Alpy 200/600 with Guide/Calibration modules and Photometric slit
Star Analyzer 200