Nova in Sco - ASASSN-21lk

Alerts and Monitoring of Novae
Hamish Barker

Re: Nova in Sco - ASASSN-21lk

Post by Hamish Barker »

Herewith overview of my spectra. and zoomed up to show more of the continuum level, and finally with zoom on H alpha.

All forwarded to francois and hopefully uploading to aras database via the email.
asassn-21lk_20210628-to20210708-overview_Hamish Barker.png
asassn-21lk_20210628-to20210708-overview-zoomed_Hamish Barker.png
asassn-21lk_halpha-velocity.png
asassn-21lk_halpha-velocity.png (33.51 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
Cheers all, time for bed!
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

admin wrote:
Note: I don't know who invented this wrong idea that Aras Database could be ephemeris and in what intent. This not friendly.
Thanks to the pioneer involvment of Christian Buil, Valérie Desnoux, François Cochard, ... BESS Database for Be and Aras database for eruptive stars and other monitoring projects are gathering spectra since 2007. BESS is hosted by LEIDA Observatoire de Paris Medon. ASDB archives will soon be hosted by an International Institution.
Hi Francois,

I did not intend to be unfriendly. It is not a competition. I encouraged Hamish to submit his nova spectra to the ARAS database (and of course Be star spectra to BeSS) but I also encourage people to submit to the BAA database as well (or the AAVSO if they are recognised variable stars) We do not know how long the ARAS Database will exist for but the BAA have a good track record of collecting data for 180 years so the spectra will still be available after we are all dead. The BAA database is also the only database which accepts amateur spectra of any object, unlike the other databases. I put a copy of all my spectra in the BAA database so I have a complete set of spectra securely stored in one place. I also send copies to BeSS or ARAS where they are of the right type

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

I'll upload to bas - although I assume I need to register for an observer code. Last time I tried this the administrator was not happy to accept my spectra so I gave up.
Robin Leadbeater

Hamish Barker wrote:I'll upload to bas - although I assume I need to register for an observer code. Last time I tried this the administrator was not happy to accept my spectra so I gave up.
Hi Hamish,

You should send your spectra to Francois for the ARAS database

Do you mean BAA? Yes the British Astronomical Aassociation database follows the BeSS standards. You need to register your details, the same as in BeSS and your first spectrum is checked that is meets the BeSS fits standard and the quality is good. If there are problems the administrator should explain the reason and may ask for a spectrum of a standard star to check your quality. These spectra are potentially going to be used for professional research so the quality needs to be guaranteed (This is the similar for the BeSS and AAVSO databases and I think Francois does something similar for the ARAS database) If you are a BAA member you can get mentoring to solve any problems (I am a BAA mentor) Sometimes we also mentor non BAA members as well. Of course you can also post the problem here where we can help solve it.

Cheers
Robin
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

(off topic) yes of course quality needs to be checked, but the BAA spectro admin said they do not accept star analyser spectra (no matter if good quality). I had a reasonably corrected star analyser spectrum of some object. This seemed a bit exclusionary, since there are going to be a lot more people with SA100's than slit spectrographs (every robotic remote telescope should dedicate a filter wheel slot!), and as you know, it is possible to take a reasonably well corrected and uncontaminated spectrum if the star field isn't too crowded. I was a bit grumpy about this so couldn't be bothered with BAA again. AAVSO is more sensible about making quality the criteria, not instrument.

I have sent them to Francois already (no response yet) (note these current onese are slit spectra taken with an L200 with 180lpmm grating, not star analyser100 spectra.)
Robin Leadbeater

Hamish Barker wrote:(off topic) as you know, it is possible to take a reasonably well corrected and uncontaminated spectrum if the star field isn't too crowded.
Hi Hamish

Star Analyser spectra are accepted in the BAA database if they show something interesting. Check the fast transients of flare stars in the database by Andrew Smith for example.
https://britastro.org/observations/user.php?user=5132
BAA_SA_AS.png
Of course we don't need lots of low resolution spectra of Vega for example but any interesting spectrum which was well calibrated in wavelength and relative flux should have been accepted regardless of the equipment. (You might need to say why low resolution Star Analyser spectra are interesting enough to be included though) Please send me more details to my email address on my website and I will follow up the reason why your spectra were rejected.

Thanks
Robin
Hamish Barker

Post by Hamish Barker »

off topic: thanks for the feedback robin.

I checked my emails back at the time re the SA100 spectrum. Andrew Wilson did say that SA100 are not normally accepted unless "they are interesting". I thought classification of an unknown transient might have fitted that description. He did request me to send some spectra of standard A or B type stars but then I got busy with other targets so I never followed up. My sincere apologies for not following up.

However,now that you can see my spectra for asassn-21lk, (and might have seen the ones from asassn-21co, perhaps my processing can be deemed good enough for a BAA login? AAVSO had previously checked my spectra quality for the asassn-21co eclipse campaign so I have a login there and have uploaded there.

Cheers,
hamish