What would you like to see in Demetra ?

David Cejudo

Re: What would you like to see in Demetra ?

Post by David Cejudo »

Hello.

I would like to have the option of automatically warming up the camera at the end of a session. It maybe doable with scripts, but it could be easier if Demetra itself could do it directly.

I normally sit by the telescope, or from a nearby room, when using LISA with my telescope. But sometimes i am pointing at a faint object that may require several hours of imaging.
In that case, i take the calibration images, then start guiding and imaging the object. Then i could go to sleep as i can programm the telescope to stop and the roof to close, but i would also like Demetra to warm up the camera at the end. I can programm the camera to be switched off direcly, but i think a warm up is healthier.
Also, i could programm Demetra to exit and use another programm as CCDSoft or Artemis for the warm up, but doing it directly with Demetra would be easier and even more elegant.

Thanks.
David Cejudo.
Observatorio El gallinero.
El berrueco, Madrid.
Francois Cochard

Post by Francois Cochard »

Hello David,
This is an interesting question, that have already been discussed some time ago (not on this forum, I think).

Demetra controls the cameras through the ASCOM platform, which makes a universal interface between any camera and any software.

In this context, this is the responsibility of the Camera manufacturer (potentially through its ASCOM driver) to manage warm-up of the camera if this is required (he is the only who knows if this is required or not). If we would add a "warmup" feature in Demetra, how can we define what time we should take, what temperature steps, and so on (it would be dependant on each camera I guess).

Do you see what I mean ?

François Cochard (for Shelyak).
David Cejudo

Post by David Cejudo »

Hello.

I have a couple of wishes for a future Demetra update.

1.I am obtaining many spectra of the same star during the night. Exposure is around two minutes, so i can acquire maybe 200 spectra in one night. I am looking for a flare in a flare star!
I want to process all those spectra individually, that is, NO stacking. It would be great if Demetra could automate this processing so that i do not have to process the spectra one by one.
As far as i know, ISIS does not have this capability either.

2.Wavelength registration. That is, the same capability that ISIS has got already. I know i can always do it with ISIS, but it would be a nice feature for Demetra as well.

Thanks a lot.
David Cejudo.
El berrueco, Madrid.
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

David Cejudo wrote:Hello.

As far as I know, ISIS does not have this capability either.
Yes ISIS can do this. The intermediate files the @pro.fit are the individual spectra of a series. I used it for this similar study for example
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/ ... tra_42.htm

Other amateur studies of flare stars have also used ISIS for this reason

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
David Cejudo

Post by David Cejudo »

Thanks, Robin.

I did not know. I just tried and used it.
I am slowly getting to grips with ISIS.

Have fun.
David Cejudo.
El berrueco, Madrid.