V Sge

Show your spectra, your results ...
Peter Somogyi

Re: V Sge

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Fresh result from this Friday evening, on top of this compilation:
vsge_all3_compr9.png
Blue part have the same exposures, H-alpha was scaled fully differently.
As for tellurics, would be nice to know a standard method to follow here (2 methods I'm aware: one is to have a ref.star - tried but result is contaminated by noise and H-alpha middle, other is synthethic reproduction - haven't tried yet). Sending uncalibrated (left part of H-alpha on 20160723.839 affected the most).

- Peter
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

All that is very good
Should be interesting to link the observations to phase

I found :

Ephemeris for the primary minimum by
Mader & Shafter (1997): T(min) = 2,437,889.913(5) + 0.514195(4) x E

François
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Thank you Francois for the formula and author names (allowed to google for article), now I've been able to create that chart:
vsge_phase_compr.png
Continuum supposed to be at 1, but scaled to 0.05 for H-alpha, 0.12 for H-beta and 0.07 for HeII 4686 on the above graphs (and continuum is added to the phase in the interval of [0..1]).
Applied shift as the absolute period.

Using all of my spectra (including a very noisy one available at blue only) + used Francois's observation on 07.14 (asdb_vsge_20160714_036), rectified continuum on it in both blue and red separately, and did a gauss filter 5 on it so now matches well by both SNR and resolution. (Unfortunately, I was able to download only this spectrum for extending my serie.)

I think the formula works well (couldn't go to sleep without trying...), was fitting the graph sizes to this:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... /fulltext/
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 6.fg1.html

We are somewhat different I think, but the period still seem to apply.
More spectra should be welcome I think, especially from the missing middle phases... (might require a proper scheduling)

Cheers,
Peter
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Very nice !
I updated the database with Tim's spectra

François
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Including now Tim's spectra (0724.004, 0727.024), revealing the middle phase:
vsge_all_compr.png
This time made a local continuum fit around H-alpha, too.
Did set the continuum to 0-level this time, considering the skew is misleading.
I can reproduce the above diagrams in postscript when necessary (fully batched via IRAF now).
As before, was using JD-MID (without any HJD conversion - could introduce just 8.3 minute skew).

I think the color composite of the above should also be interesting:
vsge_all_composite_compr.png
vsge_all_composite_compr.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 10189 times
Look at the differences of HeII 4686 and H-alpha on top and bottom (should be real, I think).

- Peter

Notes:
- fixed my own asdb_vsge_20160730_011.fit JD-MID locally, forgot to handle when applied per-exposure calibration manually (visible as JD-OBS being too close to JD-MID)
- colors yet need more manual effort, can't plot colors in .ps via IRAF somehow
- used 4686, 4861.33, 6562.7 A for the zero references of velocity (couldn't find more accurate wavelength for He II 4686), maybe the He II could be tuned further
- I can publish IRAF the commands on another forum when someone is interested

EDIT: looking at differences on the color diagram H-alpha being too far from other features (also in time), but the eShel one matching all 3 features on 07.14 too well, puts up a suspect here some assumption being wrong. This needs more investigation.
Paolo Berardi

Post by Paolo Berardi »

Hi all, two observations coordinated with Umberto Sollecchia. I took V photometry (Mak90, SXV-H9, Baader V filter) and mid-res spectroscopy (Lhires III 1200). Umberto took low-res spectrum with Alpy 600. We started about at the same time in order to have simultaneous data.

Photometric data:

Mak 90
V Baader filter
SXV-H9 CCD camera
Astroart 6 software
ApassV magnitude of field stars

Spectrophotometric method uses:

V filter specific transmission curve
Mean zero point calculated with some CALSPEC profiles convolved with V filter curve
Mean V magnitude during the spectra integration

The V mag curve on 3 august night (I think we observed during one of the brightness maxima):

Low-res profile:

Mid-res profile in the h-alpha region:

H-alpha line heliocentric radial velocity:

A previous attempt made on 30 july (not exactly synchronized), when the star brightness was decreasing.

V mag curve:

Low-res profile animation with V photometry (five profiles composed of 4 x 360s subexp.)

Mid-res profile in the h-alpha region:

H-alpha line heliocentric radial velocity:

I wonder if the spectrophotometric method used is a better choice with so quickly variable targets, compared to using direct methods such as large slit observations. Any suggestion in this regard is welcome.

Paolo
Peter Somogyi

Post by Peter Somogyi »

Paolo, Umberto, it's very nice, I'm also having some more spectra on this in my queue. I'd recommend sending all in a form of serie, as I can see at least the HeII 4686 looks having features shifting every 20 minute!

Cheers,
Peter
Joan Guarro Flo

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Paolo & Umberto:

You made a good team.
The result is eloquent, is very nice, congratulations !!

Un forte abbraccio, Joan.
Paolo Berardi

Post by Paolo Berardi »

Peter, Joan, thank you for your comments! The target is very interesting and deserves a frequent monitoring. Following the single profiles animation.

Low-res (360s resolution):

Mid-res (960s resolution, some changes in the blue side of the line):

We do need larger telescope apertures...

Paolo
umberto sollecchia

Post by umberto sollecchia »

Peter, Joan, je vous remercie beaucoup d'avoir partagé notre travail.
Salutations
Umberto