PlotSpectra

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Robin Leadbeater

Re: PlotSpectra

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Tim,

The "Normalise to active series" seems it might be something I have been looking for for a while. Can you describe exactly what it is doing ?

Thanks
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Tim Lester

Post by Tim Lester »

Robin - the normalize to active series works as follows:
For each series the average value of the data points over the selected wavelength range is calculated - call it "A", then the multiplier A(active)/A is applied to all the points in each series.
I should also mention that the multiplier is only applied to series that are currently displayed.
This multiplier is recorded for each series and can be seen and edited in the series setup dialog. You can set it back to 1 for instance.

Tim
Robin Leadbeater

Thanks Tim,

I was hoping rather than a global rescaling it might be adjusting the continuum of the spectra to match that of the chosen template spectrum, something I need to do manually for a series of spectra. (eliminating differences due to various instrument response and atmospheric extinction errors). Thinking about it, to do this the program would need to be shown where the continuum was defined first.

It is still a very nice useful plotting tool though. Thanks!

Robin
Gavin Boyle

Post by Gavin Boyle »

Hi Tim/all
in the Series Setup dialogue am I right to think that HRV allows for a heliocentric correction to be added manually ?
and what is the "A" box for below HRV which seems also to have a Km/sec scale?
thanks
gavin
Robin Leadbeater

Hi Gavin,

I think the bottom two boxes refer to the X shift, either in A(ngstrom) or km/s

Not sure why the HRV box is also there though (It appears to do the same as the X shift in km/s) unless it is designed to pick up the Heliocentric correction from the fits header perhaps, or alternatively the heliocentric correction can be entered and then an additional RV shift applied using the two boxes (figures entered into both boxes produce a cumulative shift in the spectrum)

Cheers
Robin
Gavin Boyle

Post by Gavin Boyle »

thanks Robin - would be interesting to tease these out - I'll see if others have definitive answers. my data currently is alpy resolution so i do not have HRV in fits - though will be using my larger scope with eShel in the summer if i can make it to France and hope to see how PlotSpectra uses that kind of data so am exploring as much of the software as I can. It really is quite elegant for those who are not long experienced with the other main programmes for exposition and analysis...I have paired it with Demetra to do the processing side of things.
best
gavin
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Hi Gavin,

I confirm Robin's answer.
The HRV is extracted from the header.
The change of HRV and X-Shift values have the same effect.
Here's an example
The comparison of AG Peg and HD186121, a M2III normal giant
Both have been corrected for HRV
I have shift the HD186121 spectrum by -15 km/s (X-shift) in order that the absorption lines matches with those of the continuum of AG Peg.
This avoid confusion, keeping HRV values.
Capture.PNG
Plotspectra works very well with echelle spectra.

Best,

François Teyssier
Peter Velez

Post by Peter Velez »

Tim

I have been running PlotSpectra on my home computer - its a great program.

I had hoped to use this on my observatory computer - its a 32bit PC. Trying to install it, I receive an error message saying "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor".

This error appears even when trying to run the Installer as administrator.

The PC is running Windows 7.

Do you have any tips for me?

Pete
Tim Lester

Post by Tim Lester »

Hi Peter

I think the problem is that I had not set up the 32bit install project correctly.
I found setting up the install project a bit confusing and it may still be wrong for a 32 bit cpu as I don't have a 32 bit machine to test on .
Re-download the install files and try the 32 bit installer now. Hopefully it will work for you.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvXqhKI5kEGRjEhdaQ6jaj8AHx_L
Let me know how it goes

Tim
Peter Velez

Post by Peter Velez »

Success!

Thanks Tim - it works a treat

Pete