Sony IMX571 CMOS Monochrome Sensor ?

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Joan Guarro Flo

Sony IMX571 CMOS Monochrome Sensor ?

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Hello.

You know the companies ATIK, QHY and ZWO, have made recently their model camera with a back illuminated Sony IMX455 CMOS Monochrome sensor, you be able to see some Buil's results and for its good quantum efficiency we can deduce that seems then the telescope diameter would has increased one 30 or 50 %, referenced to if you were used one ATIK460EX, for example.

But the price of these cameras, ( around €4600 ), is how a dissuasive border and their chip is unnecessary large for our current spectrographs. 

Two of that three companies also have made another camera with a back illuminated Sony IMX571 CMOS sensor but it is only in colour, the price of these cameras is around €2300 and its size is only a little bigger than the ASI1600, but does not exist this camara in the monochrome type.

You know the colour cameras are not as sensibles as the monochrome. But oneCamera with the Sony IMX571 CMOS Monochrome sensor would be very interesting and useful for all of us due its impressive sensibility,  its size and price.

I wrote a text on the ZWO web about this matter yesterday and they have answered me this morning.

I think it would be very good,  if you want and if you think it is necessary, you could write a few lines on the ZWO web about that. Sure ZWO will realize that one camera with Sony IMX571 CMOS Monochrome will have success.

I attached these two text.

Greetings,  J.Guarro.
Attachments
_571 sony cmos.png
_571 sony cmos.png (68.29 KiB) Viewed 15788 times
Olivier GARDE

Re: Sony IMX571 CMOS Monochrome Sensor ?

Post by Olivier GARDE »

This kind of camera exist : QHY 268M
equip with a sony IMX 571 M back illuminated with a 3,76 µm pixel size.
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Joan Guarro Flo

Bonjour Oliver,

Many thanks for your notice, it is good news ! Who has told you that ?
Can you give me some web pages ?

I was on the email list for a  time months ago here, https://cloudbreakoptics.com/products/268m,
but they  have not told me anything yet.

I have entered in the QHY web Produc Table https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=cont ... &catid=123, and they have not told me anything about it, at the moment.

We will have to wait for more news from QHY, ASI. I am going to keep my ATIK460EX for more time, because with a very little modification in the NOU_T assembly I have achieved more visual field and better corrected in theCCD, you can see its results right here in "First starlight for my new echelle "  . In my opinion, this little change is possible to make in your echelle without any difficulty, only its my opinion...

Bien cordialement, Joan.
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Hola Joan,

You can have a look on the QHY web page here :

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=cont ... =23&id=351

But we need to do some test with this new camera before using with an echelle spectrographe (efficiency, amp glow ?, accuracy of the thermal regulation, etc...)
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

And some news from QHY :
"QHYCCD is preparing to release a QHY268M, which is a monochrome version of QHY268C with good performance and best price.
The delivery is expected to be around January 15, 2021 and will be delivered in sequence according to the order."
Joan Guarro Flo

Many thanks for this information, Oliver.

Do you know something about a possible ASI2600M ?

Joan.
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello to all,

How said Olivier QHY is going to  let out his new camera QHY268MM on the last days of this month and ZWO makes the same with his new ASI2600MM.

Now you can afford a camera with very low noise and that represents a sensible gain in the detectivity, it is a similar step that we took when we changed our lovely AUDINE for theATIK480EX, the rules are inverted now for this last one.

Theoretically, the QHY268MM and ASI2600MM have the same characteristics as their biggersiblings  QHY600MM and ASI6200MM and for a middle price for them. The difference is only the size CMOS, but it is sufficient for if you want one 135mm. objective in your NOU_T , althought  I prefer a 85mm. one for its more brightness.

The QHY268MM and the ASI2600MM have been possible in part, thanks to lots of petitions that QHY and ASI have received from around the world, for the reduced answers that I have sighted here I be able to deduce that most of you have not participated in it, don't worry is not your duty.

Cheers, J. Guarro.
Bernard Heathcote

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

As I am interested in using one of these cameras with my eShel (with Canon 135mm) I was surprised to see that ZWO and QHYCCD have different QE plots for their respective IMX571 cameras. The ASI2600MM QE is better than the QHY268MM, if true.

I have not been able to find a QE plot of the IMX571 from Sony.

What can we believe about the QE?

Cheers,
Bernard
Attachments
ASI2600 QE.jpg
ASI2600 QE.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 13598 times
QHY268 QE.jpg
QHY268 QE.jpg (142.66 KiB) Viewed 13598 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hi Bernard,

The QHY268M QE it seems the colour one, but I think , that you could review the report by C.Buil in , http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/asi6200mm/, it 's in French I hope that you don't have any problem wit that, the Google Translator is a good tool.

He explain in it that the some times these QE values don't reflex exactly the reality.

Regards, Joan.
Bernard Heathcote

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

Hi Joan,

Yes, I am aware of Christian's report on eShel optimisation (it has been very helpful) and his comment that the reported QE for the IMX455 is maybe 'optimistic'.
I posted my comment to warn people that there is a discrepancy in the reported QE curves for the ASI2600, so cannot be trusted. We need to wait for Christian to check it for us!

Regards,
Bernard