New publication based on ARAS Spectra

Francois Teyssier

New publication based on ARAS Spectra

Post by Francois Teyssier »

I'm very pleased to announce a new publication based essentially on ARAS spectra.

Wind mass transfer in S-type symbiotic binaries III. Confirmation of a wind focusing in EG Andromedae from the nebular [OIII]\lambda 5007 line
Shagatova, N.; Skopal, A.; Shugarov, S. Yu.; Komžík, R.; Kundra, E.; Teyssier, F.
with aknowlegments to
Yolande Buchet, Zoltán Garai, Joan Guarro Flo, Tim Lester, Gerard Martineau as ARAS contributors

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020a ... S/abstract

Here's the story:
When I acquired my eShel (Shelyak) in 2015 with the aim to work on bright symbiotics, e.g. CH Cyg, (and I remember Christian saying at that date: nor more CI Cyg spectra with Echellle ;)
I decided to work on a "stable" symbiotic star for which many results had been published. "Stable" as its main spectroscopic variations are the result of the orbital motion.
My idea was essentially to verify that my procedures were robust by a comparison of my results with published data.
From my point of view, this is the basic scientific procedure when you get a new "instrument" (by "instrument", I mean: the probe, the acquisition of the signal - including the conditions of acquisition, the treatment of the signal, in French: "Chaîne d'acquisition"). And compare the measure with previous robust measures obtained by other instruments or published measures.
As a very basic example, you acquire an electronic thermometer. Measure the temperature of water in equilibrium with ice. Easy to say, but the experimentation is not so easy in reality if you need say a 0.01 digit measure ...).
Bref, revenons à nos moutons
My aim was only to compare the orbital variation of the EW of the bright lines (HI, He I 5876, [OIII] with published measures and compute the orbital motion from the absorptions of the red giant. No more.
But, the spectra available in ARAS database inspired Augustion Skopal and Nathalia Shagatova who decided to build a more precise model of this accretion powered symbiotic star.
It has been a pleasure for me to follow the preparation of the publication, discuss of the measures, and the peer review process.
Finally, this trial, undertaken with the sole intention of verifying my working method, resulted in a significant improvement in the model of this system.

François Teyssier

Note: We still have gaps to fill
EGAnd_Halpha.PNG
EGAnd_Halpha.PNG (72.31 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Francois Teyssier

Re: New publication based on ARAS Spectra

Post by Francois Teyssier »

The publication is selected among the Latest Highlights of A&A:
https://www.aanda.org/
Peter Velez

Re: New publication based on ARAS Spectra

Post by Peter Velez »

Excellent work Francois!

It must be extremely satisfying to see that the work you completed to tune your instrument yielded such useful results.

Pete