ISIS V5.5.3

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
AndyWilson

Re: ISIS V5.5.3

Post by AndyWilson »

Hi Christian,

I updated to ISIS V5.6 at the weekend and just tried processing my first spectrum. Everything was working fine until I tried selecting a reference star for the response correction. The old "Elodie - OHP" drop down list and select button were present, but the drop down list was empty. Is this intentional or a bug?

The other drop down list boxes have values, though I noted then when I tried to select Vega from the CALSPEC list it gave an error message.

I backed out to ISIS V5.5.2 and the Elodie spectra list was again populated.

Best wishes,
Andy
LHIRESIII L200 SXVR-H694 10" F8 RC AP1200
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Andy,

You have got further than me. I just installed 5.6.0 and it will not even run. (Windows 7 64 bit). It did however remove all my configuration settings from the version 5.5.1 I was currently using :-(

Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Paolo Berardi

Post by Paolo Berardi »

Hi Andy, Robin,

I hope that I have correctly understood the question. Christian gave us the chance to customise the spectral database with new library profiles as requested by Robin. Details are on release notes: http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/isis/new/release.html

The field we're talking about appears empty at first but if you add your personal list as indicated, ISIS shows the related star names. My current setup seen from "Database" function:

The only small bug I see on my installation is the label name on the form called from "Response" function (instead of Database). It still shows the old label "Elodie - OHP (domain...)" and not "MyBase". But functionality is correct:

Paolo
Robin Leadbeater

Hi Paolo, Andy,

I cannot really help as I cannot get ISIS 5.6 to run at all. I just get this message
ISIS_5-6_bug.jpg
ISIS_5-6_bug.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 5811 times

Robin
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

Hello Paolo, Robin and Christian,

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the 'mybase' would be in addition to the existing spectra including the old "ELODIE - OHP" spectra. Has the ability to access the "ELODIE - OHP" spectra been removed due to the problem discussed earlier in this thread with the Vega spectrum?

I've successfully downloaded ELODIE 3.1 and setup a mybase with the 3 Vega spectra (HD 172167) (01675.fits, 01676.fits and 01677.fits). I can plot them via the new Database button, but when I try to select them to use in a response calculation I get the below error message.
Error message
Error message
ISIS_560_Message.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
This makes me wonder whether I am missing something or if there is a bug.

If this is how things are intended, then I take it the recommendation is to use the new ELODIE 3.1 spectra for high resolution response correction (LHIRES III). Please excuse all the questions, but after 2 years of practical spectroscopy I still feel I have a lot to learn! :)

Best wishes,
Andy
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Hi Andy,

I suspect a possible problem with the FITS extension. Normally if you select the .FIT extension
in the ISIS setup, the software can read the .FITS files of ELODIE 3.1 data base. You confirm: from the
Database button you can download the ELODIE 3.1 spectra ?

The problem is perhaps localized at the automatic radiometric calibration function level. I investigate.

But a VERY IMPORTANT point , I do not recommend to use ELODIE 3.1 from this calibration calibration tools
because the spectra are in absolute flux. A manual division of your target spectral profile
by a Elodie 3.1 spectrum --- after unity normalisation --- is preferred.

Christian
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

Hi Christian,

I confirm when using the database button I can download and display spectra. It was only in the Response then Select a Reference Spectra buttons where I was having a problem.

I was able to access the old "ELODIE - OHP" spectra by resaving them as ".fit" files in mybase and creating entries in the ".lst" files. So this gives me a way to use those spectra for response calibration. I think this could be a tricky step for new users though, so I don't know how easy it would be to add back the "ELODIE - OHP" button, or another set of high resolution spectra for use with the LHIRES III in due course. Though I may be missing something and there is an easy way I've missed!

Thank you for your support and development of ISIS. It is a fantastic tool!

Andy
Robin Leadbeater

Hi Andy, Christian,

I would suggest normalising the spectra from ELODIE 3.1 and using them in place of the original ELODIE spectra in the ISIS database. The ELODIE 3.1 spectra were carefully selected and are likely to be more reliable. The continuum for the current Vega ELODIE profile in the ISIS database for example is known to be incorrect.
http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewt ... 1369#p6205

Robin
Robin Leadbeater

Hi Andy

OK I finally got v5.6 installed and working and installed LL_ELODIE_31_23 as "mybase"
The new "mybase" features work as expected for me, including when used for response (but as expected, not usefully without first normalising the ELODIE 3.1 spectra).
All the other original database spectra are still there and work correctly, except the original ELODIE spectra of course.
The only bug I see is in the English version the title for the "mybase" box is still the original ELODIE one (both when selecting from the database and using the response function).

Cheers
Robin